Loading...
History 2017-11-27T11:47:08+00:00

History of the San Marcos Regional Airport

The San Marcos Regional Airport (KHYI) is a 1,393 acre public-use, general aviation reliever facility strategically located halfway between Austin and San Antonio. Originally part of Gary Air Field, a World War II Army Air Corps training base, the airport was deeded to the city of San Marcos in 1965.

The airport is popular among pilots, with its three asphalt runways, each more than a mile in length and aligned in a way that virtually eliminates crosswind operations.

Home to the Central Texas Wing of the Commemorative Air Force, which houses a museum, as well as vintage aircraft, the San Marcos Regional Airport includes a wide range of businesses and serves as a one-stop shop for all things aviation.

“Sanmarcosaaf-1946” by USAAF – Wikimedia Commons